Truth About Topping
1. Topping makes the tree more prone to wind and ice because of the denser growth at the topping/heading cut.
2. Topping invites insects and fungal decay.
3. Topping causes sunscald/barkscald (The foliage remaining/developing in the spring and early summer on a topped tree is not sufficient to protect the bark from the sun’s rays during this period of time). The tree does not want or need a suntan!
4. Topping takes away the food (leaves) and depletes the energy reserves of the tree. Why would anyone want to deliberately starve a tree to death?
5. Topping is unsightly and unnatural. Quote: “If the Creator meant for trees to be topped, He would have created birds with chainsaw feet”.
6. Topping your tree(s) devalues your property and possibly even your neighbors’ property. Read more